Full-Time Software Engineer, Remote Work with preference for candidates in the greater Washington, D.C. area
Thresher helps organizations find the high-value signal hidden in the noisy world of human-generated text data. Thresher is the result of a collaboration between a team of data scientists from Harvard and a former intelligence officer who understands the needs of experts conducting high stakes analysis. We are growing our engineering team as we wrestle with the complex challenges that we are helping our clients address.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
● Collaborate on our evolving core platform.
● Create prototypes with our subject matter experts (SMEs) and data scientists and iteratively transform them into a production application with your fellow engineers.
● Extract, transform, and load (ETL) text data in a variety of languages with the assistance of our SMEs.
● Write tests to ensure the functionality and reliability of the team’s code.
● Implement APIs that stream data and analytics of interest to our users.
● Developing for the ELK stack.
● Problem solving.
● Communicating and collaborating in a diverse team to include non-engineers.
● Taking initiative.
● Conveying complex topics concisely and clearly.
● Ability and willingness to learn new things.
● Agile development.
● Ability to work in a dynamic, fast-moving environment, prioritize your work, and manage your own time.
● Developing for a cloud environment (AWS).
● Data wrangling.
● Text analytics.
● Relational databases (i.e. Postgres, MySQL).
● Security best practices.
● Dev-ops automation.
● System integration and architecture.
● Working with version control software (git).
We are not expecting you to have it all, but if you’re ready and willing to learn, come be part of our team!
Compensation is competitive and includes full benefits. We are open to part-time and/or flexible work arrangements. You must be eligible for a security clearance, which means you must be a US citizen. This is a great opportunity to collaborate on a team with diverse data and social science experience, and work on challenging technical problems in the national security space with dual applications in the commercial sector.
All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin. We welcome applications from veterans.
HOW TO APPLY
If you are interested, please send a cover letter describing a challenging problem you solved and a resume to email@example.com.
If you have a Linkedin, Github or way to share any of your work, we welcome links to those.