Analyst Intern (China), Remote Work
Thresher helps organizations find the high-value signal hidden in the noisy world of human-generated text data. Thresher is the result of a collaboration between a team of data scientists from Harvard and a former intelligence officer who understands the needs of experts conducting high stakes analysis. We are growing our engineering team as we wrestle with the complex challenges that we are helping our clients address.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
We are seeking a qualified intern to curate and analyze our Chinese media feed. The job will entail research, analysis, and writing. Daily responsibilities include maintaining & augmenting our current data feeds, researching additional data sources, determining the content of incoming feeds and writing reports. This is a paid internship ($15/hour).
We are a small, remote team. As such, we are looking for highly motivated individuals to take ownership of their project. Our interns do not make coffee, and will become an integral part of our team. The ideal candidate will take initiative, ask questions, and come ready to learn.
● Available to work 20 hours per week, with a flexible schedule
● Professional level of Mandarin (HSK IV, TOCFL 3, or ILR 2+) or higher required, fluency preferred
● Demonstrated initiative and problem solving skills
● Well-organised and efficient
● Good team player
● Basic technical proficiency (e.g., adept in Microsoft Office, Google Docs suite)
● Flexible and keen to learn new skills
● Knowledge of international relations and/or the Asia-Pacific region (China in particular)
● Familiarity with data science concepts and techniques
● Exposure to elasticsearch, machine learning, natural language processing, and/or AWS
● Collaborating in a diverse team
● Taking initiative
● Conveying complex topics concisely and clearly
We are not expecting you to have it all, but if you’re ready and willing to learn, come be part of our team!
We anticipate training our interns to bring them up to speed — the primary skills we require are language proficiency and problem solving. If you fit the qualifications above but do not have experience with data science, you are still encouraged to apply.
You must be eligible for a security clearance. This is a great opportunity to collaborate on a team with diverse data and social science experience, and work on challenging technical problems in the national security space with dual applications in the commercial sector.
All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or national origin.
HOW TO APPLY
If you are interested please send a resume and a cover letter that tells your story, describes a challenging problem you solved, and explains why you are interested in Thresher to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have a Linkedin, Github or way to share any of your work, we welcome links to those.